Monday, April 12, 2010

What to do, what to do...




So the most recent assignment in my Character Illustration class was to put our character into three different cartoon universes. I chose X-Men, Disney, and South Park. The X-Men one is my favorite, Gretchen looks "bad-ass" enough to fit in (which is funny considering her original design). Disney was a little disappointing, as it came out looking a ton like some cheesy fan art piece. At least I learned a little about constructing "princess" faces. And well, I spent too much time on the first two so I just did South Park in the end. Though I might redo it in a different style if I have some extra time.

In other news (and more importantly as well), I found out this past week that I was accepted to the Vancouver Film School as well as the Academy of Art in San Francisco. I declined Vancouver after finding out about the Academy, but now I need to decide whether to go to the Academy or not. Attending the school would give me a reason to go to San Francisco, would better my skills, and would give me an MFA in Animation so I could teach later in life...but it would also be a huge financial set back for me. Especially if I can't get a job. I'm also waiting to hear about an internship that I'm really, really, REALLY hoping to get. And my family is pressuring me to go into Art Education. So I have a lot of paths waiting to be explored at this current moment in time.

Come summer time, I've decided that I'm going to dedicate my spare time to learning Flash and finessing my drawing skills via 11 Second Club. I'm really excited for this option, because it'll be nice to be able to do animation for myself and at my own leisure, and not for a class.

Oh, and the thesis is coming along. My composer sent me some music which I really like. I hope to be done with breakdowns by the middle of the week. I've also recruited a couple of friends to help me color the character frames. So as of right now, it's looking up.

If anyone has any advice on San Francisco or the Art Academy, feel free to post :)

Good luck with the week, everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment